Sunday, May 9, 2010

Why I Can't Just Put Out A Blue Recycling Bin

You may need the back story as to why I simply can't take my milk jugs, juice cartons, cereal boxes, sauce jars, and soup cans to the recycling center.

I, shockingly enough, do not live in a big city. I live in a town many people may have never even been to. For an area generalization, I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Where I live, recycling is not a "pick-up your bin on Tuesday" type of happening. Recycling is an option, where, if you choose to participate, you take all your separated items to a transfer station. Not such a crazy thing, I know, but what do you do when said transfer station decides to no longer accept recyclables.

Rather than drive over to Wisconsin and pretend to be a citizen in a town that may have a recycling drop off program, I decided to do what any normal, sane person would do. I will craft.

My goal is to reuse as many and as much of recyclable items as I can ( I'm thinking, roughly, one craft a day), and transform them into usable, hopefully visually appealing items. Some items may be something like, "Oh, I've seen that before." Some items may be, "Hey, I've done that before." But it'd kinda be special for both you and me if I come up with something not so ordinary, but very special. Get your scissors ready. Here's to crafting with purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment